CONGRATULATIONS! You've made an important decision to purchase a home. Many people are overwhelmed and intimidated by the prospect of buying a home. It is after all, one of the most important and expensive decisions you will make. Our staff of Professional Realtors is here to guide you through the process and make the experience a pleasant one. The following steps should help.
- Get pre-qualified. This way you know what you can comfortably afford AND you will be ready to make an offer when you find the right home. Inventories are low right now so you don’t want to lose out because you weren’t prepared.
- Make a list of your wants and needs. There is a difference! You may want a media room, double ovens, hard woods, etc. but you could live without those items, HOWEVER, you need 4 bedrooms because of the size of your family, a study because you work from home or a particular school(s) to insure your children education.
- Once your Realtor has located the perfect home, he/she will negotiate the best possible terms acceptable to you and the seller.
- You will want to schedule a home inspection with a licensed inspector. This should include a WDI (Wood Destroying Insect – termites) report and a pool inspection if the house has one.
- Once the house is inspected and repairs negotiated, you will need to obtain insurance, arrange utilities and start packing.
- On the day of close you spend 45minutes to an hour signing documents. Funding usually takes place within a few hours and you are handed the keys!
This is a simple overview of the basic steps. There is a lot of work going on in the background involving your loan, title work, surveys, etc. and occasionally, something will come up that requires tweaking but your Realtor and/or Mortgage Broker will guide you through those issues.
Call us with any questions. If you haven’t contacted a lender, we encourage you to contact one of the professionals listed on our site.